Motivation?

Published by Demo Kitchen under on Thursday, March 17, 2011


I started running again today. The two longest miles of my life! It felt like it took forever! It was a beautiful day, light breeze, and Lonny was home early, so I laced up and took off.

I had my iPod going and the first song was "Fat Bottomed Girls" by Queen. Now if you are unfamiliar with Queen's music/lyrics, you should quickly start listening to this amazing group from the '70s, but don't judge me if any of it offends you. (I've never been good at recognizing the true meaning behind lyrics, and you know how the '70s were... so seriously I'm sorry if any of it offends you) But, my dad taught me well, and I LOVE Queen. However, when it comes to motivational lyrics to get you running to lose baby weight, hearing Freddie Mercury praising girls with fat bottoms (they "make the rockin' world go round" don't you know?) doesn't make this fat bottomed girl want to run faster, farther, or...at all, really. However, I looked deep into my memory and remembered how much I enjoyed it last spring/summer when I was a few pounds lighter and had worked up my endurance so that it was actually fun.
(Amanda and me after the Bear Lake 1/2 marathon...smiling!)

So I kept running. And moved to the next song.

I hear "Bicycle Race" also by Queen. I'm moving slowly and haven't even reached the half mile mark when I hear, "I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike." And I'm thinking, "Oh, it's true! I would so rather be on my bike right now!" But I continue...and switch the song again, still listening to Queen I hear, "Don't Stop Me Now". Ahh, much better. A truly wonderful running song for those who are looking for something new. My favorite song, and the one I tried to listen to at the end of my long runs is "Defying Gravity" from the Wicked soundtrack. LOVE IT!!!
As much as I love Queen, it might be time to update the iPod to something that distracts me a bit more from running, until I get my groove back.

Any suggestions are welcome...what works for you?

2 comments:

Dean and Rachel said... @ March 17, 2011 at 9:43 PM

You are so funny! I was totally laughing about you wanting to ride your bike:) Love that song. And...you are amazing for getting out there already!!! WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

Hope said... @ March 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I hear "my humps" is a good one! :)

Post a Comment